Thursday, August 12, 2010

When You Wish Upon A Star

Tonight when I looked upon the Perseids Meteor Shower, I thought to myself about wishing on "shooting stars."  As a child, I always heard the "wish on the first star that comes out in the sky" one, but not until I was much older (I think it may have been out of high school old, even) did I hear the "wish on a shooting star" idea.  Even when I was little, the idea of wishing on a star for something was somewhat absurd to me.  Why would I wish on a gaseous ball of fire to obtain something I desired in life?  The thought didn't change tonight, as I looked upon what people called "shooting stars," which are actually balls of gas, ice, and space rock being burned up in the Earth's atmosphere before it can reach the ground, but I decided that I would give it a try, multiple times, since there were plenty of these "shooting stars" to test the idea upon.

For some things, I believe that wishing is allowed, because the chances of the thing ever happening are phenomenal.  Supposedly if you tell someone what you wish it won't come true, so I won't say, in order to finish testing out this seemingly absurd idea of wishing on burning gaseous, space rock ice balls.  However, I will say that for the first time in my life, I really want what I wished for to come true.  Everything you want to happen is founded with you wanting to believe it can happen through the modus operandi that you choose to channel that belief through.  Often that is the reason things take effect upon us, because we trick our mind into believing that the supernatural can happen to us.

Maybe wishing on stars is our way of hoping that there is a supreme being out there that hears us, and will grant us what we want.  Still, if there is a supreme being out there, then I think that, being supreme, he/she would only grant us what we want if it is what we need.  Any supreme being listening in would probably not understand our obsession with wanting things we don't need, anyway.  That's probably why wishing doesn't work, because we wish for things we'll never work at to attain.  I'll still work to try and obtain my wish, and hope that any supreme being out there would be gracious enough to help me on my way to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment