Friday, August 13, 2010

All About Swings

Angela Montenegro: Childhood should be all about swings. 
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Swings? 
Angela Montenegro: You know, how high can I go, if I twist the chains how fast will I spin. 
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Or if I try and jump off before the swing stops. 
Angela Montenegro: Exactly. 
Dr. Jack Hodgins: I miss that feeling. 
Angela Montenegro: Yeah me too. 
Dr. Temperance Brennan: I miss organic chemistry class, those were good times. 
Zack Addy: I miss my first microscope. 
Special Agent Seeley Booth: Great, yeah and I miss normal people. Can we go on? 


Every time I see this part of this particular episode of Bones, I feel bubbly inside.  There's a reason this is my favorite television show.  It speaks a lot of truth about my life.  Although I am a lot like Temperance, I find myself connected to Angela in ways like this.  Although I miss all the word games and puzzles that I did throughout my childhood, the one thing that I distinctly remember is the swings.  


Megan, Dylan, and I would swing as high as we could and kick off our shoes one at a time to see how far we could get them to fly; the one with the shoe that went the farthest would win the game.  We each had certain techniques that we would "patent" so nobody else could use them without permission.  Mine was tighter shoes and tape on my feet.  


Sometime after the conversation quoted above, Hodgins takes Angela on a date.  He takes her to a park, and they swing, doing all the things that they talked about in that conversation.  It was beautiful to me, and I've always thought, after seeing that episode, that the guy that would be that creative for a first date was the worth another dating experience.  Sure, it may sound sappy and ridiculous, but that's what life's about, isn't it?  The reason people watch movies is because they want to feel the way those two people feel in that movie, even just for a small moment, so why can't we just make it a reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment