Friday, July 30, 2010

YSA Memories

The whole reason I am up here at Bear Lake this weekend is for the Young Single Adult activity.  My dad is the bishop of one of the YSA wards in the Ogden second stake, and so the big activity that was planned was for up at our cabin, for the third year running.  Really, since I've only been up one other time, it really doesn't bother me. 

A couple of years ago, when I was 18, I went to this activity, not that I really had any choice, as my dad was the president of the branch, and I was needed to help out.  When I was there, there was this guy that I hung out with out on the water; I really miss that guy this year.  He was working and cut his hand open on the job, and it was a bad enough wound that it needed stitches.  It still isn't healed, so he didn't come, as he couldn't do anything.  I understand that, and I am fine with him not coming, especially since he took the alternative of going hiking with his family over the weekend.

Still, I remember the way he would go out of his way to help me, and how I would catch him looking at me.  We rode the water wienie with three other people, and we took the back two seats.  Essentially, we controlled that water wienie.  If we wanted everyone off of that thing, we could make it happen.  One time we did just that, falling off before everyone else and yanking the water wienie just enough that we watched them all fall off in slow motion.  I distinctly remember us turning to one another and giving a hi-five with grins on our faces. 

This year, I went on the water wienie, sat in the same spot, with a different guy behind me, and it was fun, but it wasn't the same.  The guy, Brent Jenkins, is ridiculously strong.  He had fallen off the back of that water wienie, and was just holding on with his hands, and managed to pull himself back up through the waves onto the back of the water wienie while the boat was still pulling the water wienie!  I was really amazed.  I kept calling him Blake, though, which is his brother's name, I think.  It made me feel kind of bad, but hey, they do look a lot alike.  Either way, I couldn't bring myself to stop secretly pining for my friend. 

In retrospect of the whole event those couple years ago, I wonder if he was doing all that because he wanted to date me, or found me attractive, at least.  It's nice to think so.  Also, since this guy is still single, I wonder if he will give me a chance, or if we missed our moment that summer.  There have to be more possible moments, right?  I would like to think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment