Friday, July 2, 2010

Vacation Woes

I'm so sick of putting out fires for everyone (in a figurative sense. My parents seemed to misunderstand that colloquialism). My parents invited some extended family to Bear Lake with us this weekend, and I'm already unenthusiastic about the whole thing. The two boys who are my step cousins get here and they start riding four-wheelers faster than they are supposed to on the beach, which was of course encouraged by my brother. They start turning donuts in front of other people's property.

I hadn't been out riding today, so I went to go and ride for a little bit before dinner, and the boys were still out there, turning donuts and ruining people's nice beach. So, as soon as I get down there, going the speed limit and just checking things out, a homeowner on his tractor comes down and flags me down, not the boys. He completely rips me a new one about "us" ruining the beach that they worked hard to mow down nicely. I told him that I had nothing to do with the problem, but that I understood his frustration, and would inform the others what they were doing was bothering them and was inappropriate.

The crotchety old man then went on to threaten to call the cops on me, and stormed off angrily on his tractor towards the water to put in his wave-runners. It was at this point that I realized this was the same man we had given a wave-runner motor to for his purple boat that was the same model as our ruined one. I was really upset at his rude manner. Sure, I understand that you're upset, but yelling at a person who is trying to fix the problem and has helped you in the past isn't going to fix your problem.

I hate being implicated in things that I had absolutely nothing to do with--absolutely hate it. When I come to enjoy myself I don't want to be mediating every situation that causes tension. Yet this seems to be my job everywhere I go. My extended family gets fighting or into trouble and I get to come in and try and get everyone to compromise on issues or get them out of trouble. This is why I don't do family reunions of any sort. I think I may just make a point to live somewhere that I don't have to worry about extended family after I get out of college. For my next ten to twenty years, I want to live quietly in a low key place. And all of this has been decided after only a few short hours with just five of my extended family members and my immediate family.

No comments:

Post a Comment