Thursday, July 1, 2010

Intrinsic Value

I'm one of those kids whose parents encouraged spending more time imagining and did so through furthering my education at home. Looking back I realize that I never fit in because I was always a step ahead in school, always bored. This may make people think I've suffered socially, and maybe I have, but I feel that sacrificing social dominance for a higher intellect is worth it. As a kid I was obsessed with geology. My parents encouraged me to start a rock collection and to categorize those rocks I collected by their respective properties. I had pumice, granite, fools gold, and all sorts of rocks which I found special in some way because of their unique defining properties.

Some of those rocks were or more intrinsic value than others, and I believe that we humans are the same way. Not all of us are worth the same in society as others. Those of us that spent our childhoods engulfed in learning instead of the social scene gained more from life than those who spent their time worrying about the next big fad or who was going to be their significant other. We were raised on higher principles: principles of learning and furthering the race through our knowledge, our gift to society as a whole. The masses, who are governed by their inherent sexual instincts and the subconscious need to be accepted by a mass of people, give less to society as a whole because they simply concentrate on having things, never giving.

As I commented on a friend's post about being different because she didn't engage in much girl talk, different is okay. In fact, I'd go so far to say that those of us who spent our girl time differently were of a higher breed. I truly believe that those of us who spent/spend more time thinking about philosophically important matters rather than worrying about what boys think, or any of the frivolous activities that encompass girl time, are focusing on the more important aspects of life. Falling in love is an infinite in the world, governed by chemicals in the brain that stimulate intimate feelings, while philosophical and scientific principles are definite and require intelligence to pursue. Those of us who spent our childhoods fascinated by geology (or other sciences) and historical fact are definitely of a higher intellect, not governed by our instincts.

1 comment: