Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Wish I Was an Ostrich

My friends and family know that I don't do well with awkward situations.  This is particularly true when it comes to people asking me about my personal life.  I'm perfectly fine telling people that I am friends with a few details of a date or event, but for the most part I like to keep things to myself.  I even get defensive when my mom makes comments.

The whole reason this post came about is because I went to a Relief Society activity last night.  When I was questioned last night about a date I had gone on the night previously, I went beet red.  I was in front of a huge group of girls that barely know me, and so any insights into my personal life are very reserved glimpses.  However, one girl knew a little more about the situation, and remembered that my date had a cold and hadn't been feeling amazingly well, so when I was tired and not feeling so hot, she put two and two together, although completely unrelated.  The whole group made the same assumption, and they all knew who the guy was, which made it worse.  All I could say was "no" and cover my face in embarrassment, which made them laugh all the more.  

That wasn't even the worst part.  The worst part was knowing that two of the girls in the group were this guy's friends, and seeing the amused looks on their faces.  After making it home around midnight, I sat and worried.  I don't like people to see me out of character and somewhat vulnerable to ridicule.  In the end, I decided it would be nice to be an ostrich, because then I could bury my head in the ground when I get embarrassed.  Sure, I think of things to say that would alleviate the embarrassment on my part, but only after the moment has passed and I have time to think, so being an ostrich is the best way to fix the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment