Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Big Sister Antics

I have just discovered the difficulty of trying to talk your little brother through a computer problem over the phone.  He called to find out how to get a header or footer on text edit on a macintosh.  I explained that he could only do that in the program Pages on a macintosh.  Soon he was swearing over the phone and upset that I couldn't help him fix his problem.  Sometimes he makes problems bigger than they should be.

He went on to tell me that he was going to fail his class now, blah blah blah, and how he wasn't going to be able to do everything he had planned.  I calmly told him that if he took his computer to the bookstore or library that someone could probably fix his problem for him, since I couldn't direct him on how to do it over the phone.  I also suggested that he look through all the software he was given to see if he just forgot to load Pages, as he insisted that everything he needed was on his computer already.  After all this he finished his upsetting rant and said goodbye.

In the meantime I texted Ryan to see if he knew where Dylan could go on the University of Utah's campus to get computer help, since I seemed to sound silly to Dylan with my suggestions.  It made me feel like a good sister to be trying to help out my little brother in need.  Ryan couldn't think of any places off of the top of his head, though, so I figured that I'd be down in SLC in the morning trying to fix little brother's computer.

About five minutes later Dylan called me back and let me know that he needed to buy Iworks to get the program he needed.  He never had the software to begin with.  That is just like Dylan.  Sometimes being a big sister can be tough, but in the end it always feels good to know that someone loves and trusts you enough to come to you with their problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment