Monday, October 25, 2010

A Farmer At Heart

The storm last night made me worry that I wasn't going to be able to get my last harvest from my garden.  Sure, I'd be able to get the pumpkins out once the ground froze hard enough that I wouldn't sink into the mud, but my beautiful peppers would be lost to the freeze.  So, when I woke up this morning to find that it wasn't raining and the ground was hard enough for me to walk on without sinking, I went to work harvesting.





These pictures of the pumpkin in the grass don't do it justice.  I'm guessing it is between 35 and 50 pounds, because I could barely lift it out of the garden.  By this time of the day the ground was thawed out, and so when I carried this pumpkin about the garden I sunk in the mud.  I could barely hold on to it, as my arms aren't long enough to wrap around it and carry it properly.




This is my leaning tower of bell peppers.  Lex was admiring my work with the Anaheim peppers when I snapped this shot.  I was lucky.  I just said his name and he looked right at me when the camera snapped a shot.

I can actually keep the carrots in the ground all winter, but I harvested some for my bunny rabbit, and for me to eat.  They have been one of my favorite vegetables in my garden this year.

I had plenty of tomatoes this year, and made some money off of them.  Also, I had beans, but I didn't get the last edible harvest in on time, so the beans got big.  So, I took all the bean seeds out for next year's growing season.  I'm planning on saving some pumpkin seeds and bell pepper seeds as well.  I'm going to try my hand at starting the pepper plants out on a heating mat in the late winter so by May I can plant myself some nice looking plants.  This may or may not work, so I'll probably have my dad buy some plants as well: just in case.

1 comment:

  1. this is so awesome!!! i'm kind of jealous. i've always wanted to grow things and have a garden. maybe someday when i do you can give me some tips :) it looks like so much fun, and so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete