Friday, January 21, 2011

Sophie Scholl



I stayed on campus late today to watch this show in the International Cinema.  It was definitely worth it.  I found myself crying in several parts of this show.  As I watched, I hoped that I would be as strong as Sophie, that if I were put in a place that was the same as Nazi Germany, that I would do the same thing.  She was me, her brother was Kestin, together they were all of us, the future generation that must stand up for what's right, because conscience demands it--freedom and justice demand it.

You can watch the whole thing on youtube.  Type in Sophie Scholl: the Final Days in the search box, and it will come up.  There's quite a few parts, but it would be worth the watch.  If you have Netflix, you can watch it streaming online there, or you can rent the dvd.  Really, everyone ought to watch this show.  I walked out of the cinema in tears, having gained a new appreciation for the freedom I enjoy; my ability to write what I think and to be protected by the first amendment; to live under a democratic government where my voice matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment