Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Power of Words

Math, I really feel that if I do it for long enough my brain will melt.  I feel like I understand it, and then I go back to review, and I find I've well nigh forgotten it all.  It isn't that I cannot do it; quite the contrary, I am particularly good at it when the concepts are explained properly.  My problem seems to be that I cannot retain the knowledge.  If formulas and rules were given me to utilize during a test, I am sure that my performance would be much improved upon.

After much consideration on the matter, I've decided that even though I am capable of doing math, it really is one of my weaker areas of performance.  Once I have finished with my current math class, I have every intention of never taking another one. For once in my life, I am very happy to have chosen a profession in which so little mathematical skills will be required.  I much prefer to employ my time with reading and helping others improve upon their writing.  A beautifully written passage is, to me, as moving as observing a blissfully happy newlywed couple.  The ability to bring one to tears of pain, joy, or laughter through words is one that should not be undervalued.

There is a reason why certain songs stay on the top songs list forever.  Songs that only have a catchy beat may stay on top for awhile, but are soon forgotten if the lyrics have no meaning behind them.  Lyrics are poetry, the butter to the bread of music.  True connoisseurs of literature know that in order for any song to stick, there must be meaning behind it.  This is true of classical music as well.  Pieces of music constructed with a beautifully depicted idea behind them are the ones that stick with us the longest.  The beauty of the Planets depicted by music make one muse upon the words that can properly describe them.  When one says that a piece of music is moving, there are indescribable feelings behind the word moving that they cannot express.  Writers do this.  To have the talent of expressing oneself eloquently is a gift given to many, but utilized by few.

Everything starts with words, and our words are all that remain of us when we're gone, so make the most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment