Thursday, May 26, 2011

Why'd You Email?

Every few months, I'll get an email from my ex.  I feel like this, tweaking the lyrics a bit to put email where call is and name where number is, and trying to win me back where "make love tonight" is*.  He used to call me all the time, until I changed my cell number and avoided phone calls to my parents' house.  And I felt like that song a lot, and I thought that maybe I was over feeling that way, but yesterday's email made me feel that way again.  It's probably lame of me to connect myself with a song.  Teenageresque, maybe?  Still, it's how I feel.

He emailed me to tell me he got his driver's license.  Good for him.  He wants to meet up and play catch-up over lunch.  No thanks.  I can't; for my own sanity I can't.  Occasionally, I feel like I am going to have to move across the country just to get away from everything.  I don't care for living in a constant state of annoyance.

So, I'm going to make sure that I really enjoy myself over the weekend.  Plenty of movies, books, and finishing up crochet projects and gardening.  Oh, and I guess I'll have to add homework in there somewhere.  Still, it promises to be a great long weekend, and I'm not going to let my ex get me riled up and ruin it.

*Why’d you call me today with nothing new to say?
You pretend it’s just hello, but you know what it does to me to see your number on the phone.

Now tell me, what do you want? What do you want? What do you want from me?
Are you tryin’ to bring back the tears or just the memories?
You keep takin’ me back, takin’ me back where I’ve already been.
When we hang up it’s almost like I’m losing you again.
Can’t you see? So what do you want, what do you want from me?

I get so tired of living like this.
I don’t have the time, neither do my friends,
To stay up at night, to pull me through,
And to find the things to keep my mind off of you.

So, now tell me, what do you want? What do you want? What do you want from me?
Did you call to say you’ve find someone and I’m a used- to- be.
You keep takin’ me back, takin’ me back where I’ve already been.
If you’ve moved on why does it feel like I’m losing you again?
Can’t you see? So what do you want? What do you want from me?

What do you want me to say?
That I’m content? That I’m on the fence? That I wish you would’ve stayed?

Oh baby what do you want, what do you want, what do you want from me?
To come here and make love tonight cause you’re feelin’ lonely.
You keep takin’ me back, takin’ me back where I’ve already been.
When we wake up and say goodbye it’s like I’m losing you again.
Can’t you see? So what do you want, what do you want from me?
What do you want, what do you want from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment