Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Here We Go

Ugh.  Today hasn't been so great.  Not that it has been bad in the sense that my life is going to fall apart, but it is one of those days when you realize that some work you thought was decent is completely inadequate, and it is too late to change it, so you're just going to have to suffer through it.  My teacher for my Advanced Writing class completely rips apart our papers, which is good, because then I can try to fix my writing, but it is also bad because I am going to get a grade in that class which will lower my GPA.  I can feel it in my bones.  You know that feeling?  Where you know nothing you will ever do will be good enough to receive even a B+?  

My teacher for the class that I'm talking about told the class that he knew a guy that was a terrible writer, but could teach everyone else to write well.  I feel like that is me.  I know what makes up good writing.  I just can't do it.  My writing is a mess, and I know it.  And I know it is a mess because I really don't care enough to spend double digit hour time on each draft, especially when the paper isn't a final paper.

For the past few weeks, I've seriously thought about switching majors.  I'm good at linguistics, at least so far.  I've only ever been mediocre at English, especially because it requires a lot of writing.  Maybe I could do a linguistics major with an editing minor?  Or should I switch my major to a foreign language?  I also like science, but not enough to retake my calculus class or risk not understanding the mathematical part of the science.  There's definitely benefits to having an English major if I want to be an editor.  If I switch majors, that means more time in college.  More time that BYU doesn't allow.  There's a year limit for BYU students to graduate.  Another ugh.  

There's a guy in my 295 class, Dillon, that is also in my linguistics class, and he's also having a hard time with this 295 English teacher (Dillon's a senior, and so I don't feel like I'm unjustified in feeling this way about my teacher, if a guy that's never had a problem with his English teachers on this level, I can feel that way).  We both think our english teacher is good guy, but that he's a little too set in his ways.  I mean, come on, when a guy comes out and says he's never given an A to a student in 16 years, he's got to be a little too set in his ways.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that instead of going on to do homework this afternoon, I think I'm going to go mail my letter to Savannah Combe, go for a walk, and lay out in the sun (or on my bed, whichever sounds nicer when I get back) and spend the day reading a book I checked out from the library.  Oh, and I'll probably grab something yummy to eat as well.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment