Saturday, October 10, 2009

Elementary Assignments

So, my posts are usually longer than this, but that doesn't mean I can't vary my length of post every now and then. I was helping my 12 year old cousin Bailey with her english homework. Kids have a tougher curriculum in elementary now, I'm telling you! She already has to know a bunch of latin roots and then all of the adding and dropping suffixes to make things nouns. I don't even think I knew the word authentic could become a noun until I remembered the word authentication; and by remembered I mean that I looked it up on the internet. The assignments were ridiculously time consuming. That could be just because I wasn't the one writing, but whatever.

Kids nowadays also have ridiculous math book setups. The format of my cousin's math book was really ridiculous. It took me forever to find the properties they were asking us to use to identify certain problems. Also, I feel that the math is somewhat easier when it came to story problems, but harder when it came to just the numbers. I hated story problems in school, but the ones she had were really easy. I guess that is because I moved up through a bunch of math classes, but personally, I believe that the story problems were harder in the math book I had in sixth grade.

1 comment:

  1. ugh, I agree! I think that they have harder and harder stuff at younger and younger ages. I personally don't think we are doing kids any favors, either.

    ReplyDelete