Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Trip to My Musical Past

I decided to create a Christina Aguilera channel on my Pandora. I didn't know exactly what I'd be getting, but after I disliked the Brittany Spears, Pandora started playing a bunch of really good music from my past. A bunch of R&B music that I listened to growing up. I know that a lot of my friends didn't listen to this stuff, but some of my best memories are listening to R&B and rap in the car with my cousins. We usually listened to Usher, Nelly, and Eminem*. Of course I listened to Christina Aguilera. I also listened to Samantha Mumba. She isn't even in the music business now, but I really love this song that she sings.


It makes me feel great inside. And I really do miss this decade of music. I find myself going back to it almost as often as I go back to the Frank Sinatra and saloon song era. Why? Because things like R&B Country crossovers happened back then.


Why? Because the music was less electronic and had more variety. I'm not saying there weren't electronic sounds incorporated, but it didn't rely completely on synthesizers and such to get the sound. The tunes are just so much catchier to me because of that.


Why? Because it is my decade of music, full of Jesse McCartney, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, Usher, Chamillionaire, Eminem, Beyonce, Missy Eliot, Pink, Lil Kim, T-Pain, 50 Cent, and Christina Aguilera, to name a few. 


Don't get me wrong, I listened to a lot of alternative rock and country as well, but there will always be a special place in my heart for this kind of music.

* And yes, I did leave out a song by Eminem in this post because of all the artists I listen to, I realize most people are uncomfortable with Eminem's music, and I have to be in a very specific mood to play Eminem. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I remember listening to some of this when we would "choreograph" rollerblade dances! hahah, those were the days. although there was probably quite a bit of the Anastasia sound track in there too.

    ReplyDelete